Pages

Monday, June 11, 2012

A Monday Morning Pick-me-up

It's Monday morning and I have three weeks left at my job to organize 4 1/2 years of files, emails, and priorities for my successor. In addition to my normal job responsibilities AND completing an extensive government grant proposal--the 176 pages of instructions to submit a six page concept paper should explain my ever amping stress levels.

Needless to say, I'm feeling a little frenzied, hurried, helpless.

I want to reject this moment. This rolling out of bed. The mountain of unending tasks set before me. But I'm reminded of the words of Ann Voskamp in One Thousand Gifts:
"I will not desecrate this moment with ignorant hurry or sordid ingratitude."
When I say

I don't want this task.
I don't want this moment.
I don't want this job.
I am saying
I don't want this God.
And that is not what I want to be saying. That is not how I want to spend this morning or these next few weeks or my life--in ignorant hurry or sordid ingratitude.

Like my favorite Sara Grove's song, I want to "Add to the Beauty" instead of seething in stress.

The lyrics go like this,


And I want to add to the beauty
To tell a better story I want to shine with the light
That's burning up inside
 
This is grace, an invitation to be beautiful
This is grace, an invitation






Yes, it's way too early on a Monday morning, but today is also an invitation to be beautiful.

And so before I hit the cubicle, I will take a moment to give thanks, to see beauty, to stack joy. You can't add to the beauty if you don't see the beauty in the first place.

The accumulation starts with acknowledgement, so before hurry can apprehend, I will stop and count the graces.

Today, Monday June 11, 2012, I am grateful for

  1. The day I get to spend--in the same office!-- with my friend and coworker who usually works from Colorado. Welcome back, Corbyn! 
  2. The chance to laugh and pray together at morning staff meeting.
  3. The opportunity to grab lunch with a coworker before he leaves for Thailand and I leave for Guatemala.
  4. The privilege of inviting others into the life-giving work of Plant With Purpose. 
Thank you thank you thank you thank you.

Now, let's start adding to the beauty!

No comments:

Post a Comment