Pages

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

T.S. Tuesday: Where is the life?

In addition to T. S. Eliot's Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats, last week I cleared out the Eliot section at the library. So far, I'm devouring his Collected Poems 1909-1962

My latest obsession includes excerpts from The Rock, a play that he wrote in collaboration with E. Martin Browne and the Reverend R. Webb-Odell. Though it was first performed in churches in the 1930s, I would venture to say that much of his wisdom and critiques of the Church are even more applicable today.

He writes,

"Endless invention, endless experiment,
Brings knowledge of motion, but not of stillness;
Knowledge of speech, but not of silence;
Knowledge of words, and ignorance of the Word"


In this age of information we see a lot of words. We're constantly skimming, scanning, cramming. But what's the point?

"Where is the Life we have lost in living?
Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?
Where is the knowledge we have lost in information?"


I am going going going. I am reading, writing, texting, tweeting, meeting, running, chatting. Where is the life I have lost in living? Where is the wisdom I have lost in knowledge? Where is the knowledge I have lost in information?

I write a lot words, but do I know the Word?

I so deeply desire stillness, silence. I crave rest. I long to experience the depth of His stilling presence.

I long for Life.

What do you long for?

4 comments:

  1. I long for Him. He is my reward; my all in all. I long to be one with Him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pray you will experience His presence, power, and peace.

      Delete
  2. I got a google alert for your blog because I am working on a documentary film called "Lost In Living." Based on those very lines from T.S. Eliot. Enjoyed your post. If you have time you might want to check out the website for the film: www.maandpafilms.com/lostinliving. You can see the trailer for the film there as well. Or go to the facebook page: www.facebook.com/lostinliving and you can also see clips I post from the film. Hoping for a late summer release. Glad to see others have found Eliot's words inspiring. Good luck to you. And thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing, Mary! Looks like a really cool film!

      Delete