Pages

Thursday, March 29, 2012

A Time to Weed



I've planted too many bad days. The weeds of cynicism, disengagement, and discontent spring up, choke out. 

Yes, the field is teeming with flowers, but it’s also teeming with weeds. 

Sometimes I can’t tell the difference.

Cynicism shoots up around me, engulfing me.  It strangles the good days, the good seeds, the good hope. 

You won’t move. 
You aren’t there.
I am trapped trapped trapped. 

But I know that is my voice, not Yours.

Yours is the voice of hope, the voice of kindness.  Yours is the voice that said to me, 

“Relinquish cynicism and WATCH ME MOVE.”

My eyes are peeled. 

I pluck the weeds. I replace them with truth.

You will move.
You are there. 
I am free free free. 

5 comments:

  1. Weeds make me cringe. I used to do landscaping work, and half of my time was spent killing or pulling weeds. They're painful, and though they might appear pretty to some, they suck the life out of everything around them (including the person who has to treat them!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm realizing I have my work cut out for me with these weeds.

      Delete
  2. Regrettably, I get. I'm feeling it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you come across Ann Voskamp's One Thousand Gifts? What a retraining of the mind and spirit!! I found it very helpful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita,

      I LOVE Ann Voskamp's One Thousand Gifts. I've been struggling to live out the eucharisteo that she describes. With the image of planting specifically, I've discovered I've planted a lot of weeds--bad habits of cynicism and ingratitude. For me, the metaphor of weeding is similar to the Erasmus quote Ann uses, " A nail is driven out by another nail; habit is overcome by habit." I pluck out the weeds with word of gratitude and thanks.

      I'd love to hear more of your thoughts on Ann's book!

      Aly

      Delete